Thursday, December 3, 2009

HW 27-Informal Research-Interviews & Surveys


We walked up to the first guy as he sat in Madison Square Park, he had a map in one hand and he seemed to be day dreaming.   In my mind he appeared to be a tourist, from the map and his heavy accent.  The first question we asked him was: What do you think is cooler a PC or a Mac Computer? He responded quickly with, "PC is cooler because it is not as new and it is still around." Then we went in for our actual question: What does cool mean to you? In summary he said: "That's a hard question...I don't know.  It's hip individual, someone who doesn't try to go down the same path and doesn't think they are cool.  Someone who struggles but still comes out with a smile is cool."


The second guy we walked up to was also sitting on a bench in the park, he had his blackberry in his hand, yet he wasn't using it.  He was staring off into space with a smirk on his face.  What do you think is cooler a PC or a Mac Computer? "Macs are cooler they are more fun..." He seemed a little nervous.  What does cool mean to you? "Cool is...hard question...a nice person I guess." Do you consider yourself cool? He paused for a moment: "I consider myself cool because I am a good person but I can't pinpoint cool on one thing so I don't really know."



Sitting very close to the second guy was a women who appeared to be very concentrated on her lunch.  She seemed a little caught off guard when a bunch of us walked up to her.  When we asked if she minded being a part of our surveys she was shocked.  What do you think is cooler a PC or a Mac Computer? "Macs are for more artistic people." What does cool mean to you? "You wanna know what I think is cool!? Whatever seems fresh...I think places to eat, style...style is a big deal in New York City."  Do you think you are cool? "I think for wherever I am in life I try to embrace what I have." When we asked to take her picture all she said was: "Make sure there is no food in my teeth!"  


After our third interview it took us about 5 minutes to find another person, he was sitting on top of a garbage bin I think, and he was a park ranger.  He spoke broken English and seemed to be hesitant.  What do you think is cooler a PC or a Mac Computer? "PC, I am not familiar with computers."  What does cool mean to you? "People are cool when they are into fashion but I am not into fashion." Do you have one person that is the first one you think of in terms of cool? "No one is cool, I am just trying to be myself." He wouldn't let us take his picture.  

Lastly was a man who didn't seem to happy in till we started conversation with him.  What do you think is cooler a PC or a Mac Computer? "Mac, I don't know why..." What does cool mean to you? "Other friends..." Who is the coolest person in your life? My brother, he is my best friend and he is fun." Do you consider yourself cool? "I am cool because I am a fun guy." He kept mentioning the word: fun, it seemed that as long as he was having a good time it was cool.  

No comments:

Post a Comment