Monday, September 14, 2009

New HW 3 Digital Unit

What is happiness? It's strange to think that to many that in order to be "happy" their lives must be surrounded by technology. Our world has come to the point where we use screen communication to build and form relationships. Through our screens we grow and learn, and create almost a Hollywood environment. Always keeping updated on what everyone else is doing when in reality this isn’t making us happier but is making us consumed with other peoples lives. At the rate of the need for technology what will the world be like in 5, 10 years? This isn't to say that I don't enjoy listening to my i-pod or using Facebook. I love being able to send a message through light speed but I am aware that I am involved in this "easy" life, I believe that we are on this planet for a purpose. I don't think all of this addiction that is making us so lazy is the purpose intended. This past weekend I was in Times Square standing with my friend we were looking around at all the flashing lights and advertisements. We both started saying how we felt as though we were living in a nightmare. Why is all of this necessary? Think about how much money these companies are spending on getting the word out about their products. If this country can build these fancy skyscraper adds why are their certain areas of New Orleans that still don’t have levies to protect people and communities from hurricanes? Our world is dealing with issues like global warming if inventors can come up with cameras on digital objects the size of credit cards why cant they put their minds together to slow down the process of the world running out of natural resources? Technology might not be a bad thing it just needs to be rethought so that we can try using it for problems that are much more life changing. Would people be able to survive if one day all technology was suddenly just erased from the planet? How many people would no longer to be able to function? For some its crazy to think that even just 100 years ago people were able to life and be happy with just the company of those surrounding them. A world that involves more face-to-face communication, and struggle to get information is very possible but is the world we live in now ready to handle something like that?

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,

    I really like your first post. I like how insightful it was and how you explained your thoughts. I also liked how you were able to stay on topic through out the whole passage. It also got me thinking about my ideas and the points you brought up were very valid. You were able to express your ideas in a way that felt real. It didn't seem like something out of a text book. By reading it you could felt the writer (you) talking to the reader (me).

    A part of your blog that i really like was the connection to real life. I like how you put Times Square in there as an example from your life. I felt that I could connect to that. To think that when people thing about New York they thing about Times Square and all the flashing likes seems to be a negative thing. It also made me thing about some stuff we had learn and discussed in class. How much good could be done with that money if it wasn't wasted on advertising? Would there still be starving people if that money was use to solve the problem of world hunger? This digital stuff could be but to good use.

    I think that the Main points that you were trying to get across were that we are all a part of this digitalization. It seems that no one is exempt and that we all play a role in this digital stimulation. You also state that you were like everyone else using these new technologies. The other main point that was part of your blog was that we use the technology in a wrong way. That we spend so much on technology and that companies spend so much money advertising these thing to make us want to buy it. But you stated that would all this money was being waste on thing that are useless in a way. The money could be put to better use. In a way where it could save lives. The examples were New Orleans and global warming.

    Over the summer vacation I went to Hong Kong to visit my family. It was not my first time in Hong Kong but yet it still surprised me how much had change in one year. The whole Skyline was like a big Times Square there were skyscrapers everywhere and with the buildings were Advertisements. There were big TV's and posters on the side of the buildings. If that was not enough there were 4 to 5 TV’s on every subway/ train car. There was also a huge TV at every mall every many people would go to watch. Everywhere I went there was digital. Because i love Technology in a way I thought it was cool. But when you think about it it all seems to be money wasted.

    All around the world there are these big cities like New York and Hong Kong that use so much advertising to get more people to use there new gadget. And with the speed of new technology come out faster and faster we are due to see more Advertising.

    One thing that you could improve on is maybe adding more detail. What I mean is to do a little research to see how much money is being use for advertising around the world. Or how much it would cost to solve the New Orleans problem. I think the statistics would strengthen you blog and help you make your point. You could also consider using more then one long paragraph and slipping it up.

    Thanks for a great blog, Good Job Sarah. I look forward to reading your next blog.

    ReplyDelete