Monday, May 17, 2010

HW 56

Questions (Part One):

1. When a stranger approaches you how do you normally react?
2. Would you consider a doctor, fireman or police officer a stranger?
3. Do you feel more connected to strangers or your friends/families?
4. Would you save a stranger in danger?
5. Do you consider homeless people strangers?
6. If at one point or another we were all strangers, why do you think most people get so shook when a stranger engages in conversation?

Part Two:

Interview # 1:
1. I usually try to help - or see if there is some question that needs to be answered.
2. Yes, if we define a stranger as someone we don't know.
3. More connected to my friends and family.
4. Yes, if it was reasonable to do so....
5. Yes, once again - as persons I do not know.
6. Because we sometimes feel that strangers might have other intentions besides having a conversation.

Interview # 2:
1. I'm worried, as I don't know why they would be approaching me.
2. No, I don't. If I don't know somebody, they are a stranger no matter what his or her profession is.
3. I feel more connected to my friends and family
4. I hope I would save a stranger in danger, but I can't guarantee I'd have the courage.
5. Yes
6. Because we are taught that it is better to be safe than sorry, and therefore better to assume that a stranger has bad intentions and that you should be wary of them.

Interview # 3:
1. It depends on the circumstances. If the person seems to be in their
right mind I am open to talking to them. I enjoy talking to
"strangers" because a lot can be learned and I like the sense of
commaderie... like when I'm waiting in a long line or something. If
the person is talking to themselves and seems disturbed I give them
lots of space. If they have a specific question that I can answer I
will but with caution and heightened awareness.

2. Yes, until I get to know them a little, which usually doesn't take that
long since they are accustomed to dealing with people and connecting
quickly.

3. To my friends and family.

4. Yes, as long I I didn't think I would die in doing so.

5. If I haven't met them, yes. But once I've met them, no.

6.Because they are afraid of the unknown. They might be afraid that they
will get hurt, something will be taken from them or that they will not
be able to give the person what they want. I think it is a good
practice to talk to "safe" strangers because then I'm not afraid. It's
like exercising a certain muscle. But, sometimes I might surprise or
"shake" a stranger by talking to them. Once they assess the situation
most people seem to feel I am an okay stranger to talk with.

Part Three:

In John Guare's screenplay 6 Degrees of Separation it shows the audience the closeness of strangers. The saying "6 Degrees of Separation" means that we are only six degrees away from every other person on this planet. However from my survey it seems like if one of those people approaches us unless they are in their right mind we stay clear and with precaution. Essentially what I think this means is that there are two types of strangers, the normal ones and the crazy ones. Even though we are connected to both we feel more comfortable with the normal ones. This seems pretty understandable but isn't it interesting that many people isolate certain family members because they don't "get along." These family members than turn into strangers and I think all the "crazy strangers" out there have most likely been isolated in some way or another, we probably don't think that way though when we are surrounded by them though...

Survey Question:

If you saw a person fall into the subway tracks would you save them?

No comments:

Post a Comment