Monday, November 23, 2009

Short Story

I walked down the hallway it seemed to get longer and longer as I walked towards my advisers room.  Slowly I opened the door and went to my advisers desk.  "Hi, I'm Violet Miller...I think I'm suppose to be here?"  I was looking around at the rest of the students who were all glaring at me, I could hear whispers.  "Oh yes Violet! I was told you would be joining our advisory.  Ms. Levin told me you were from Florida, is that right?" replied the teacher.  "Yes my family just moved here because my Dad's job changed." said Violet.  "Why don't you introduce yourself to the class."  said the teacher.  The teacher walked me to the front of the classroom, I was trembling inside, none of the kids were smiling.  "Class we have a new student who just moved here from Florida, she is going to introduce herself now!" said the teacher.  "Hi I'm Violet um I'm 15 years old.  I have a bulldog named Millie, I don't know what else to say..." I could feel my face getting bright red.  "Students do any of you have questions for Violet?" said the teacher.  A blond girl raised her hand.  "Yes Susan?"  said the teacher.  "So uh what do you like to do for fun?  Florida seems like a really nice place, I've never been but I've seen pictures." said Susan.  Then she smiled and I breathed.  "Well I like swimming in the ocean, I love swimming in general.  I've grown up on the beach it's weird being in a place where it seems like we are not around any water.  I like to shop in second hand stores not just for clothes but for unique interesting objects.  I think they all have their own story.  I also have a huge passion for photography, I could bring in some of my photos that I have taken.  Florida is a beautiful place but New York City seems so much more exciting."  by this point I was smiling and so were all the students around me.  "Do you want to come sit with me Violet?" said Susan.  "Sure!" I replied, I walked over to her table and everyone was being very friendly to me.  Susan went on and on about how she loved my clothing, and thought it was so cool that I was from Florida.  Before I knew it I was surrounded by many classmates who were all feeding me compliments.  It seems that because I had opened up to a room full of  strangers and acted as myself they were intrigued by my difference to them.  I finally had found the right kind of people that liked me for me.  

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    Your story was cool. It seems your character was being who she was which is waht you consider "cool". I agree that being yourself is cool and whoever does not like it screw them. Your character is cool and the other kids in the class think so too which makes her even cooler! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story was interesting.You made a character who seemed to be very real. She was cool not because she tryed to be yet because she was being who she was. I think this is a interesting idea because if we our true to ourselves does that make us really cool ? I think so. But I guess the real question is does in matter if other people validate how cool we our ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    I enjoyed reading your story. It had a lot of detailed. I liked how you said at the end “I finally had found the right kind of people that liked me for me.” I think that this is what you view as cool. A person being an individual. In a way I agree with you, your character is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    Your character was in her owns ways different from the other characters i have read so far. At first she seemed intimidated to enter a new school (but who wouldn't be) but i admire her for that fact that she still was able to stay true to the person she was back in california. The fact that she was the "new girl" alone probably intrigued the students but the fact that she seemed straight up and interesting helped also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah,
    I liked your story it was interesting to read and the character of your story was real and her self not trying to be someone ells which is cool to me, I liked how you said “ the girl was saying ”I could feel my face getting bright red” and in the story the girl seemed like she’s talking more and more about her and being comfortable which she wasn’t in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete